Welcome to the 2-Year Olds page
Welcome to the Frog Class!
The Frog Class is for students who are two years old going on three in the next year. Some are potty trained but most are not when starting in this class.
Attending the Frog class will be a growing and wonderful experience for your child. Your two-year-old will be exposed to a large variety of experiences that will stimulate developmentally appropriate growth in most areas of their being. The Frog room is a hands-on learning environment that offers child directed and teacher directed activities. Your child will have freedom to make activity choices within a teacher directed schedule.
You may contact the Frog room at (925) 449-5683 ext. 135 or 134.
- Please call if your child will be coming late or will be absent that day.
- Please provide a blanket and sheet each week for your child’s comfort at naptime. This is a California State regulation. These items will be sent home at the end of the week for laundering.
- Please keep one full set of extra clothing at the center in case your child needs to be changed while at school (underpants, pants, shirt and socks).
- Please do not leave large bags or backpacks at the center. The hooks under the cubbies are needed to hang up their jackets.
- Please provide a self-sufficient, balanced, nutritious lunch with a beverage, each day for your child packed in an insulated lunch bag with an icepack. Each classroom has a microwave, so heat-ups are welcome.
- In the Frog class, we strive to train the children to be toilet independent. Part of this process is the child’s ability to undress and dress him/herself without help from the teachers. To aid in this process, we ask that you dress your child in clothes that can easily be pulled up and down; such as shorts and pants with an elastic waist and dresses. Clothes with snaps, zippers, buttons, belts and overalls are often too difficult for the children to do by themselves.
- Please pack with your child's lunch a nuitritious morning and afternoon snack with beverage.
Frogs Daily Schedule
2-Year Old Children
Two-year-old children are delightful, physically active learners. They learn by doing. They have tireless curiosity, a zeal for life, they get totally involved in the here and now, they need to explore, touch, see, hear, taste, run, hit, sit with books, laugh, cry and investigate life.
Young children are vulnerable human beings in a stage of development where feeling secure and confident is directly related to how we treat them. It is important they be comfortable with, and trusting of adults. Children believe what we tell them, and they learn about the world through experiences we provide. They need our support and guidance. It is important to design a curriculum based on an understanding of who two-year-olds are. Below are some characteristics of this magical age group.
Two year old children:
- Are curious and concrete
- Are rapidly developing language
- Like loud noises when they make them
- At times don’t like loud noises made by others
- Imitate adults
- Are learning to cope with their emotions
- Want to do things by themselves and are proud of self-help skills
- Have yet to develop impulse control
- Find it difficult to share
- Zip around quickly and love to climb
- Have improving memories
- Thrive on sensory experiences and love water, sand, play-dough and clay
- Enjoy glue, paint and manipulating art materials
- Love to dump and fill
- Enjoy throwing things
- Enjoy making messes and sometimes help clean up
- Enjoy dramatic play, dress up and dolls